Wednesday 4 January 2012

Two more school days this week!!!

Two days down and I can't wait for Friday! It's amazing how tired the kids are these past two days. But not surprising considering I'm in the same boat.  I felt like I really had to reach down to my toes to find the energy to make it through today. I always find on the days when the kids are tired, I use more energy to pull us all through the day. Here's hoping everyone (teacher included) in our class has a great night's sleep!!!!

On the plus side, the stations are just about ready to go and the kids are super excited. Their excitement is what has me working a little overtime tonight to make sure the stations go well. Here's a run down of what we're doing:
1. Guided Math - this will be a less on adding three numbers (tailored to the needs of my groups)
2. Calendar - a new month, a new calendar and questions for the kiddos to complete
3. Math game - a game focusing on subtracting from 12 (for 2012)
4. Sorting Station - sorting number sentences into three groups (greater than/less than/equal to 12)
5. Pattern block puzzles - a variety of different winter pattern block puzzles with the challenge to solve a variety of ways and record the number of shapes used.
6. Counting station - estimating and counting a variety of winter shapes (focus on counting a variety of ways to make sure you get the same number both times!!!)
7. Measurement - what is that mass of that snowman? We'll be measuring using pennies, cubes, rods, crayons and gems to see how many of each it will take to balance our snowman.

Today we went through each station and the expectations attached to each. Tonight's homework for me - make some fool proof recording sheets, tweak some instructions and put together the "I Can" charts for each based on today's conversation.  It's a lot of prep work, but worth it to see the kids so involved and excited!!!! Also, with 21 kiddies in my class this will take me up until next Tuesday!

happy Wednesday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment